Tuesday, July 27, 2010

ONE (of many) REASON TO WALK

This is from a fellow Chicago 3 Day walker! I had to post it so you could all see one of the many reasons I walk:

I signed up to walk about 6 weeks ago. We still had hope then.

Sarah Jane was 29 years old. She was diagnosed with triple neg in October, when she was 20 weeks pregnant with her first, and only, child. It was a shock--she was a marathon runner just completing her master's degree in counseling. She wanted to help others deal with grief and family issues--she did volunteer work most of her life and was known above all for her kindness and smile. There was no history of breast cancer anywhere in our family.

It spread so fast it went from stage 2, to 3, to 4 within months. She wanted to save the baby and so had chemo but put off surgery. The baby was born in Jan 2010, premature but robust and healthy with a full head of hair--which made his bald-headed mommy smile. He is our delight now.

In the last few months, she could hardly hold him, she had no strength. The pain had gotten so intense. Two weeks ago, it was confirmed--it had moved to her liver, lungs, spine and other bones. It was time to let her go as she had suffered so much in 8 months and had radiation burns all over her chest and back, while recovering from the brain radiation burns as well.

She fought every moment until we told her to let go. She was one of the most loved people I've ever known--people came from a thousand miles away to say good bye at her funeral. There was such diversity of color, race, religions, and political persuasions there it was amazing--but they came for Sarah Jane because she'd been there for them, always.

Now I have to walk this walk. Part of me wants to say, "Why bother--I'm so tired and just want to sleep for a very long time". Part of me wants to pick up an old habit and have a smoke. Part of me knows it will be really hard to catch up on my training having spent the past 3 weeks in hospital and walking to the coffee machine for exercise.

Yet all of me says, "This is for Sarah Jane. This is to help prevent any other mother's heart from breaking as mine is right now."

So walk I will and sweep I might be. But it's all good and I fear I'll shed a bucket of tears along the way. So if you're doing Chicago--try and take a moment to think about my Sarah Jane.
Thanks much,
Nancy

No comments: